Friday, November 11, 2011

Privilege

Sometimes we are lucky enough to use our talents to bless and help other people. I was honored to help a good friend and her family with my sewing talents last week. They had a preemie baby who lived a short 10 days then passed away. She was only 1 pound 1 ounce and born at 27 weeks. One thing my friend did not want to do was shop for a dress for the baby for the funeral. A doll dress would be too big anyway, a Barbie dress would probably be closer to the size, but not wide enough. So I offered to make one. It was a pleasure and a privilege to help them during this trying time.

I took a few doll dress patterns that I have a figured out how it would best fit on a such a little baby with the least amount of disturbance. I decided to not do sleeves and to make it a wrap dress that would fit around her how ever small she was. I put an adjustable velcro closure on the side so when you wrapped it, it could be wrapped tighter if needed. I made it long and with two skirts, two different colors of lace, and several ribbon bows. I think a girl needs a pretty dress no matter how small or for how short of an amount of time! It did not take long to make and I loved how it turned out. I do wish I had made it probably 1/2 the size after I saw the little baby at the funeral because I think it was way too big.

There aren't many options for parents with micro-preemies. After searching online there are several things you can buy for more than 50$ and they will ship the next day. I think it's a great option for a friend to make something because it'll mean more and be one less thing that a grieving parent has to worry about! Thank you friends for giving me the opportunity to give you a gift in your time of need.






8 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful dress! How wonderful that you could use your talents to help at such a hard time. So sad for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. And, as the mom of an angel, I'm so thankful you did this for your friend. I'll keep them in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet. It is beautiful. What a blessing to that family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sad story, my heart hurts for them. How sweet of you to take so much time to love and cre for them. It's a beautiful dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This brought tears to my eyes. It is a gorgeous dress. As someone who has lost, I know its a blessing to have friends willing to do anything to help you through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a really lovely dress, and such a sad thing ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a priceless gift you have given your friend. The dress is gorgeous but your heart even prettier. Thank you so much for sharing this with us, prayers to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet your friend was grateful for this very thoughtful gift. It makes me really sad thinking about the circumstances, but I bet your kind act meant so much to them. Thank you for sharing this @ Show & Share, I really appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete