Tuesday, December 14, 2010

American Girl Clothes

I can not pay $30 for a doll outfit and I admit that I don't even pay that much for a new outfit for my own daughters. So, when they drool over the outfits in the American Girl catalog, they know they aren't getting any! I do wish I could buy them one of each outfit, but that won't happen in this lifetime. SOOOOO... I break out my creativity and my pattern making up skills (didn't know I had them until now) and try to copy cat the outfits in the catalog. This was my first attempt to copy something from a picture and I have some room for improvement, but overall they turned out pretty good. I saved about $25 on each outfit, minus about 5 hours of my time. Hopefully it'll feel like a "priceless" moment on Christmas morning.


American girl outfit- $30


My outfit- $2.50, plus 2.5 hours of my time. I can see that the shawl needs to be shorter- I've shortened it twice already! Back to the sewing machine. Those boots were HARD to figure out. Don't know that I'll attempt any more of those.




American Girl outfit- $28


My outfit- $5 plus about 2.5 hours of my time. I still want to find or make the little white socks. The ribbons on the shoes kinda bug me too but they'll have to do for now!

I have one more outfit in the works but it's proving to be a little tricky. Hopefully it'll be done by Christmas....

No comments:

Post a Comment